Another fantastic day with Phil Donnelly at our club workshop. Thank you Mark for hosting us and Phil Donnelly for your hard work as always.
From small acorns mighty oaks grow….
It was an absolute pleasure to be be involved with Ray Egan at Bud Garden Centre in Bunratty and watch the first (and not the last) Bud-ten exhibition come together.
Bud Garden Centre in the Shadow of Bunratty Castle
Ray is one of guys who works hard in the background to push bonsai forward in Ireland and do it in the right way. From a chat last year over a few beers when he talked about hosting a Japanese Gardening Weekend at Bud including bonsai, to what just transpired last weekend, it’s been a rollercoaster.
Ray hard at work
Bud is nestled away in a corner opposite the historic Bunratty Castle and although small, offers plants missing from most garden centres. Ray hosts monthly meetings for the Munster Bonsai Club of which he’s a founding member.
Ray asked if I’d help pull the bonsai…
View original post 270 more words
Here is the programme for next Saturday’s school/teaching session;
Munster Bonsai Club School in Partnership with Ian Young (Bonsai Eejit)
Saturday 23rd March 2019 10am to 4 pm
- Introduction and seasonal issues discussion. This will be a starting point for all school sessions to cover any worries members are having with their trees and how to cope with what the weather is throwing at us.
- A discussion on early season feeding and repotting aftercare will be included in this portion of the day.
Inspired by Natives
- A short Powerpoint looking at Native trees and how they can inspire our own bonsai design.
Air Layering Theory
- A run through on how when why and what we air layer both via flip chart and Powerpoint.
Noelanders Trophy 2019 Gallery
- Looking at trees in exhibition at this years special 20th Trophy and studying how they are presented and prepped for showing.
Break for Lunch Before moving to Tunnel
- Starting of the practical session with critiques of member’s bonsai that they are thinking of entering in exhibition in 2019.
Elongating Species Pruning and Development
- Looking at our more common elongating species such as Yew, Larch and Spruce and showing how we prune these trees for best results as bonsai.
Airlayering Demo and Practical
- Putting the theory into practice on a large elm that requires multiple layers. Hands on for members to have a go.
Selection of School Trees
- New for school sessions in 2019 we plan to select multiple trees, taking them from raw material through to bonsai demonstrating both design and practical techniques step by step done at the right time in the right way. This will be fully inclusive of members ideas on design with trees supplied by Bonsai @Bud