The bonsai year is up and running, and it’s re-potting time.
On 2nd March MBC will host a re-potting theory and practical with Ian Young, in Cuan Mhuire Garden Centre, Bruree, County Limerick.
This full day consists of both theory and practice.
Initially Ian will cover the theory of re-potting bonsai trees, addressing;
• does the tree need re-potting & when to do it?
• what pot to choose to match your tree’s needs and how to get it ready.
• what substrates to use and how to prepare them.
• the re-potting procedure, step by step, from tree preparation, to placement & securing to adding substrate and final topdressing.
• how to care for the tree afterwards.
This will be followed by a practical session with all participants repotting trees, either their own, a practice tree or a tree available for purchase. Participants will bring their own materials as much as possible although a full range of substrates, tools and pots etc. will also be available on the day to purchase.
Tea/Coffee and a light lunch will be provided on the day. Cost €25 per person.
Contact Ray on (086)8539528 or firstname.lastname@example.org to book
Ready for gig
Dirty dealing before school
And we started
Talk about weather affect our trees
Then trees critique
Then shohin display talk
And at the very end shohin bonsai display practice
Finally we have got three different displays
Saturday 24th November 2018 10am to 4 pm
• Introduction and seasonal issues discussion. This will be a starting point for all school sessions to cover any worries members are having with their trees and how to cope with what the weather is throwing at us.
• Show and Tell Crtitiques
• Members who are willing, bring a tree and tell us about it. This will then be critiqued
• Winter Preparation
• We look at why trees are vulnerable in winter and how to protection them.
• Shohin Display Gallery
• Powerpoint Gallery looking at shohin in exhibition and what guidelines are used for display.
• Shohin Display Practical
• As a group we will use a shohin rack stand and trees to play with the concepts learned in the gallery.
• Members please bring your shohin trees and stands to give us lots of options.
• Pot Selection
• Powerpoint and Discussion looking at options to consider when selecting a pot for our trees.
• An extra school topic in case we have time. Power point looking at deadwood in nature and on trees explaining what we are trying to achieve when we use deadwood on our trees.
Looking forward to this school day where we will look at the world of Shohin Bonsai trees. Shohin refers to trees up to 20cm in height. Ian will discuss their care, development and styling, how to display them alone and in groups.
Also, we cover the jobs and tasks of the moment and the months ahead.
Such lovely day with Bonsai Eejiet. Thank you Ian for shearing your time and knowledge with us all newbies. Thank you Michael and your tim for hosting us . We will see you all soon.